Topic: "Artifacting" around moving people

Today I tried to watch my first film in SVP (American Sniper) and I noticed whenever people move, there's always an outline of slight artifacting surrounding them. I have all my settings set to default for the 1080p video profile.

Any idea if there's settings out there to remedy this?

Re: "Artifacting" around moving people

my first time really trying this too and i noticed the same thing. used makens guide to setup potplayer with this and it happens with both evr cp and madvr renderer on both 720p and 1080p video sources.

overal smoothness is superb compared to just using madvr's smooth motion hopefully this is fixable wink

q9550@3.2ghz + gtx 750 ti on samsung 1080p lcd tv.

Try 2m guys.
http://puu.sh/hJlfv/9db880c1ee.png

4 (edited by stvnsgl 11-05-2015 14:40:46)

dlr5668 wrote:

Try 2m guys.
http://puu.sh/hJlfv/9db880c1ee.png

nice seems that fixed it and its still a little bit smoother than using only madvrs smooth motion alone!

edit... i'll take the further questions to makens thread

For first time users using SVP, I think is normal the " artifacts " are something they are not used, at the beginning of couse, later in time you might get use to it and only care and want more and more smoothness. That happened to me before and now im used to it, don't pay attention on artifacts now, I only care is get as much smooth quality as possible and my hardware is capable of. There is some Balancing you can make, but not reduced 100% artifacts, not without sacrifice much smooth quality. Less artifacts then less smooth, more smooth more artifacts, all depend thought. The settings that dlr5668 , gave you are ok too. Just remember you can make your own custom profiles with the settings that suits more your likes.

good luck

I have a thread here (you can have a read through my article and hopefully it helps you). You don't need to use the media player I am recommending (MPDN), as Madshi has now started using DirectX11 with Madvr after I got Zachs to implement it with MPDN (which is awesome, kudos to both of them for doing the hard work and implementing it, all I done was suggest it)... So yeah just read the first post on the link below, which will link you towards an article I've written... read that article, use my personal settings (or not, up to you), which in my opinion decreases artifacts and maintains the smoothness and fluidity that comes with SVP.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2419

The artifacting with interpolation looks like light bending around objects.

I disabled the warning for exceeding the framerate and set my target framerate to 3x source. Seems to have improved artifacts vs the default of matching my refresh rate (60Hz on my TV).

9 (edited by tobindax 22-05-2015 12:31:16)

Most of the "artifacts" are just the original source being completely choppy at that point. We are used to the slide-show of 24 FPS and we think it's "normal". While SVP will expose those gaps easily (without special filters like 2m I guess), it's still nothing that bad, considering the alternative is the choppy slide-show of the original source.

PS. e.g. hero jumps from ground to ladder, you may see an "ugly artifact" on SVP, but in reality on the original source you see nothing at all between the jump and the ladder!1 So, while some people badmouth interpolation as ugly, they often ommit to mention that their "perfect" original source has absolutely no data to show between those two points. So one could make the easy decision that "I'm AWARE of those gaps now, it doesn't mean they didn't exist before".