1 (edited by Daanvandam 09-05-2015 18:08:56)

Topic: Quality looks bad with svp

MPC-HC plays videos at 60fps just fine, but the video quality is really bad compared to prior installing SVP. I attached an image of the problem together with an image from another player (mpv) where the image looks the way I want it. Before installing SVP it looks like the bottom picture but afterwards it looks like the top.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/daanvandam/mpc-hc%202015-05-09%2020-03-30-90.png http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/daanvandam/mpv%202015-05-09%2020-07-02-62.png

Re: Quality looks bad with svp

Looks like a maxed out sharpening in the video renderer.
SVP doesn't do such thing.

SVP doesn't work well with anime, but these settings can help

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Watching_anime

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 10-05-2015 01:40:12)

You know, this is the 4th time I've made the following suggestion in the last couple days...perhaps it could be wise if something similar was placed in an FAQ or something so as to weed out some issues that are not actually the fault of SVP?

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Just to make sure, try a fresh copy of MPC-HC 32bit portable:
http://portableapps.com/apps/music_vide … c-portable

Then follow this guide on setting up MPC-HC Portable to use SVP.
http://svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC

Does this make any difference?

And FYI, since 10bit encodes are common with anime but SVP doesn't support 10bit input (nor chroma greater than 4:2:0), it may be wise to disable every output format except NV12 and YV12.

...which reminds me, wouldn't it make more sense if the according LAVfilters screenshot on the above-linked SVP wiki page only had NV12 and YV12 enabled?  Heck, is the MPC-HC bundled with SVP even pre-configured this way?

5 (edited by Daanvandam 10-05-2015 11:16:44)

After using the portable version and only using NV12 and YV12 I managed to get some improvement if you can call it that.
The quality is the same but the subtitles are normal and not normal. I should also mention that the videos are not 10bit.

The links from mystery resulted in making artifacts less noticible.

Chainik mentioned sharpening, how can I reduce this significantly?

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/daanvandam/mpc-hc%202015-05-10%2011-56-42-33.png

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 10-05-2015 14:14:11)

Well then it's clearly not the media player itself...

Maybe it's a GPU driver setting?  I'm pretty sure there are some video post-processing stuff available in AMD's and Nvidia's graphics drivers, though if you're using Intel graphics then it shouldn't be that because they don't have anything like a "sharpness" setting...

Quick question - this wouldn't happen to be a pre-build computer (whether a laptop, desktop, or whatever) rather than one you or somebody else custom-built, would it?  I say this because, to me, this seems like the kind of setting you'd find by default on an OEM machine from a big-box store (similar to the  "torch mode" settings you find on TVs in said big-box stores).  On similar note (pun >_>) with audio, I know that some OEM PCs come with the likes of a "base boost" enabled in their audio drivers.

7 (edited by Daanvandam 10-05-2015 17:17:16)

This is a custom built pc, so I tried it on my laptop and the problem isn't present. I find it a little strange because both the pictures are from this same computer. I have an AMD card in here , but the only settings changed are colour related and not necessarily sharpness. I did change sharpness on my monitors settings but that's not related to MPC-HC.

I also enabled ''Use mediaplayer settings'' in the amd control center.

That's really odd... humor me and enable "D3D Fullscreen" and see if it still happens.  Also, try setting the "Resize" algorithm to just "Bilinear" (not the ps 2.0 one)

You can find both settings in MPC-HC via View -> Options -> Output

It was already set on Billinear (both portable and installed version) and using D3D fullscreen did not fix this either.

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 10-05-2015 17:35:08)

Ok... next thing then.

Does it happen when the current SVP profile's "Interpolation mode" is set to "Off"?

Also, does it still occur when SVP is flat-out closed? (you can do this by right-clicking on SVP's task bar icon and selecting "Exit")

EDIT:

Daanvandam wrote:

It was already set on Billinear (both portable and installed version)

Just to make absolutely sure, it was set to just "Bilinear", not "Bilinear (PS 2.0)", correct?

11 (edited by Daanvandam 10-05-2015 18:16:35)

Little update, I resolved the subtitle problem by removing the old mpc,avisynth,ffdshow,svp and by installing svp 3.1.5, MPC-HC 1.7.3 x86, ffdShow rev.4530 x86 and Avisynth 2.5.8.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/daanvandam/mpc-hc%202015-05-10%2020-07-04-98.png

Yes it was set to "Bilinear", not "Bilinear (PS 2.0)"
Interpolation turned off or turning svp off does not help at all.

It's obviously not SVP's doing, but I can't figure out what is. Perhaps Avisynth or ffdshow?

12 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 10-05-2015 18:38:53)

Daanvandam wrote:

It's obviously not SVP's doing, but I can't figure out what is. Perhaps Avisynth or ffdshow?

Well if it's still happening even with SVP closed then it shouldn't be Avisynth, which would only leave the likes of ffdshow.  I have minimal knowledge with ffdshow, so I personally can't help you with that...

However, since it is occurring regardless of whether SVP is open or not, you could probably ask this in the Doom9 MPC-HC thread or similar and get advice from people way more experienced with the likes of ffdshow.  Make sure you emphasize that it even happens with a fresh copy of MPC-HC 1.7.8 portable.

Here's a direct link to the thread for your convenience:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166689

EDIT
Before you do that, in MPC-HC's built-in LAVfilters, try changing the hardware decoder to something other than one of the two "DXVA" options; from best to worst try "Intel QuickSync" (only if you have an LGA 1155 or 1150 Intel CPU), "Nvidia CUVID" (only if you have an Nvidia GPU that isn't ~8 years old), and "None".

Another thing you could always try is a fresh copy of MPC-BE.  Note that there's no official portable version, so you'd have to go into the program options and enable "save settings in .ini".  Also it does not have any built-in LAVfilters, so you may have to test without that...

You said AMD... Hmm right click on the desktop. Open Catalyst Control Centre... on the left panel open the "VIDEO" sub-panel, click on Quality and make sure everything under Video Quality is ticked OFF!

Then go to "global video quality" and tick everything off.

It looks like your videocard is applying edge-enhancements, de-noise, de-blocking, all that crap from the first two images in the OP.

Good luck, hope this solves your issue.

14 (edited by Daanvandam 10-05-2015 20:25:24)

Very good news! The video looks amazing now and just the way I want it! It worked after choosing ''Video Mixing Renderer 9 (renderless)'' (also works with MadVR after choosing it SVP installer options with same quality video as image below) in the output settings ( I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier). One problem though. I have a problem where the subtitles look really bad once again http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/daanvandam/mpc-hc%202015-05-10%2022-14-08-76.png
I might add that it only happens to some shows, but it has worked before like image above.

Blackfyre
I did that already, I also thought that was the problem because the sample image looks like my video, but that was not the case.

Daanvandam
It worked after choosing ''Video Mixing Renderer 9 (renderless)'' (also works with MadVR)

so it's NOT working right with EVR only? or with EVR-CP, or both?

it's a dumb question BUT - may be some post-processing pixel shaders are active? (options -> playback -> shaders)

16 (edited by tobindax 10-05-2015 22:36:27)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

10bit encodes are common with anime

The only benefit those probably have is for the encoding to produce smaller files (it does even if the source is 8bit).

It's pretty obvious they do not really have an original source of 10bit color.

Let alone most animes are very simplistic in animation coloring.

17 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-05-2015 16:53:22)

tobindax wrote:

The only benefit those probably have is for the encoding to produce smaller files (it does even if the source is 8bit).

It's pretty obvious they do not really have an original source of 10bit color.

Let alone most animes are very simplistic in animation coloring.

It's largely because of the gradients.

Daanvandam - I'm guessing you aren't using an LGA 1155 or 1150 Intel CPU?