Topic: On-demand SVP

I think it would be cool if there was a version of SVP that only comes up as an external filter on mpc. Some of us are paranoid with extra resources and the little polling the program does every now and then for raw input could be avoided.  cool

Re: On-demand SVP

if you want SVP off, just close the program. Run SVP Manager when you need it.

Well that's what I was implying. Avoiding doing it manually.

It certainly would be nice to have SVP included within madVR. It would remove AviSynth dependency and avoid having to run SvpManager in the background.

This also would give more control as to the order of operations.

There are more and more 120hz TVs which is GREAT with SVP, while madVR is coming out with even better (hungry) algorithms. Videos upscaled with NNEDI3 and SuperRes look GREAT!

However... it's practically impossible to pull out all the juice even with the top cards.

At 120hz, you get 8mz to render each frame. To upscale 1080p video into 4k with NNEDI3 and SuperRes, I don't think you'll achieve that in 8ms even with a Titan X.

If, however, madVR would run first, a 24fps video would have 41ms to render each frame with madVR, then SVP could easily generate extra frames from there. When you think about it this way, the performance cost on the GpU would 5x lower in this scenario by processing madVR before SVP, which isn't currently possible, but which would be possible if both were somehow integrated.

That's very unlikely to happen in the near future though.

I don't see the necessity to bundle them. Madvr is a different person making a renderer with some effects. This does interpolation.

It could just start as an external filter like most things in mpc-hc.

madVR includes a Smooth Motion, but not nearly as good as SVP.

And Madshi isn't doing the effects himself. He's taking the best algorithms out there and bundling them together into a player.

7 (edited by tobindax 15-05-2015 18:17:40)

Smooth motion is a different way of thinking. It just fixes small deviations of the frame succession. It's pretty good for getting "0" dropped frames  smile  without reclock which might distort the audio.

SVP is amazing for getting your video and making it look like pseudo-high FPS.

I love it. I love it even when there are artifacts. Better than slideshows.