Topic: Increased CPU usage due to presence of specific processes?

Normally, when I run MPC-BE with SVP and watch a 1920x1080 movie, the cpu usage hits ~80%.

However, if I start QBittorrent and let it work in the background, my CPU usage goes to 100% and I constantly get freezing video. This is strange actually, because QBT is using less than 1% CPU at these times. I've looked at everything I can and can't make more sense of my situation than that.

MPC-BE + SVP = 80% CPU
QBT = 1% CPU
MPC-BE + SVP + QBT = 100% CPU (?!)

I've been having this for days and am out of ideas. Could there be some sort of incompatibility between these processes?

Specs: http://i.imgur.com/Qcir6jL.png

Re: Increased CPU usage due to presence of specific processes?

Marnes
Look to the Task manager, Processes tab or Details tab. Sort by CPU usage. Who is use more CPU than in single mode:
1. SVP uses more than 80%? or
2. QBittorent uses more than 1%?

The last few times I looked, the weird thing was that neither was using more CPU than normal. In fact, I couldn't see any process that was using an abnormal amount of CPU in ProcessExplorer. I think the usage must have come from some sort of subsystem, I recall a lot of kernel mode usage being shown on my CPU graph.

Now for some reason I can't get the freezing to go away, even with everything else closed. Feels like there's something else going on now. I'm getting a little frustrated with how a lot of my programs have been acting up lately and just not working normally anymore for no obvious reason. It's not malware or anything either.

And what we can do? roll

---
Try to pass SVPmark test. Compare your results to the same systems. It will give the answer to question: Is your system have maximum available performance?

---
Lenovo ThinkPad. Maybe your notebook have throttling issue or energy saving enabled?

5 (edited by Marnes 02-05-2015 15:49:42)

I've no idea, I'm just throwing this out there in the hopes I'll end up running into a solution.

I just rebooted and played the same movie again, now the CPU usage looks normal and it plays without freezing: http://i.imgur.com/qNj9suq.png

Before the reboot, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the movie to play properly. I'm a little lost on what the heck is going on or what exactly is acting up in my system... Wouldn't be surprised if it's just the Nvidia drivers going full derp as usual.

Sorry if this topic ends up being in vain or something, it's just that SVP seems to be the starting point of my problems here. Can't know if it is if I don't throw it out there, can I?

Try to lower at least 1 demanding SVP settings in the active profile that is in use when you play that 1080p movie. No problem keep cpu ~80% usage when not doing nothing more? while playing your stuffs. but you will never know if you have to open a site, etc then cpu usage goes to 100% by X process. To avoid that, keep less cpu usage would be good. I hope it help.

Marnes
Almost all new notebooks have problems with overheating. It gives performance lowering with CPU throttling. You can check if it happend with your note. For example with AIDA64.

---
And Maken1 is right. Lower SVP settings to avoid picture freezing.