1 (edited by Jeff R 1 06-12-2014 18:19:18)

Topic: Source Muliplied By 3 (3x)

With this setting I get a bit over 72 FPS and this greatly helps dealing with fast moving objects.
My 4770K still is only using around 50% of its resources.
My Panasonic projector has a refresh rate of 120Hz so why do I always get the message warning me I am about to pick a setting that my display may not be able deal with ?

I ignore this warning and the movie plays as normal.

And just in case you're wondering, if I choose the 4x setting, the CPU can't deal with that at 1080p as its usage is being pushed to around 89 to 98%.

Which brings me to a request, it would be great to have a setting to put more of the load on the GPU.
I have a new GTX980 and it's only using 63% of is resources.

I already have SVP to use the GPU and the setting in the NVIDIA control panel is set to use the GPU _ changed from the automatic setting.

Other then these concerns, everything works great, even the 4770k is only getting to 60 degrees max with the stock cooler.
The cooling fans on the GTX980 are no even coming on... It's not really working that hard _ and should be.

Thanks !

Re: Source Muliplied By 3 (3x)

Jeff R 1
My Panasonic projector has a refresh rate of 120Hz

are you sure it can handle 120 hz on input?

That would explain the warning and in the NVIDIA control panel it shows 60, 59, 50,24 and 23 _ 59 being 59.94 Hz and 23 being 23.976 Hz.
If the max signal the projector is accepting is 60 Hz, then the 71.91 (I don't think that's right with out checking) that SVP is inputting into the projector must be being scaled down ?
But then why does the SVP show it going from 23.976 to 71.91 Hz at the beginning of a movie ?
Is it being scaled to 60 Hz and then brought back up to 71.91 Hz ?

It's confusing _ one would think that if the projectors max Hz. is 60 on the input, then why would it accept anything higher and yet it does.

But I do know that no matter what I set SVP to _ even 95 Hz. the projector always displays 60Hz in the information window when it's brought up on the screen.
Then one would think that SVP would not be able to go beyond anything above 60Hz ???

SVP makes as much frames per second as you wish.
Then video renderer (madVR, EVR, ...) sends this to the display device. Here's a conversion from 24 / 48 / 60 / 120 / XXX fps to the actual screen refresh rate.
Projector only accepts 60 fps on input (actually it's limited by HDMI).
If renderer gets 72 fps on input and should make 60 fps output it will simply drop 12 frames.
And finally projector itself can make 120 fps from 60 fps input with some kind o FI.

24 fps source -> [SVP xN] -> 24*N fps -> [video renderer] -> 60 fps -> [HDMI] -> [projector x2] -> 120 fps on the screen

So true 120 fps now possible only with selected 120 hz PC monitors (DVI connection). I don't know if there're any TVs / projectors with DP (Display Port) input  hmm

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 10-12-2014 08:10:47)

120hz is not limited to DVI...I do it with VGA and many others do it with DisplayPort.

Also HDMI uses the exact same video signal as HDMI, so HDMI can do it as well.

I know that high-end Panasonic TVs have DisplayPort input (such as their 4k models).

Nintendo Maniac 64
HDMI can do it as well

HDMI 1.3/1.4 to be more specific...

high-end Panasonic TVs have DisplayPort input

good for them  big_smile
let's take "TX-L65WT600B 65" Smart VIERA LED 4K TV"
according to "Operating Instructions" it doesn't accept 120 Hz on any input in any resolution

7 (edited by Fanty1972 10-12-2014 14:17:45)

"So true 120 fps now possible only with selected 120 hz PC monitors (DVI connection). I don't know if there're any TVs / projectors with DP (Display Port) input"

Sure its not possible in 720p?
I usualy watch 720p material on a projector (3D capable one) set to 120Hz.
It refuses 120Hz and limits to 60Hz when I use 1080p source however.

I thought HDMI has a limit in Megabytes per second and not in frames per second? (and 720p @ 120Hz is below that limit)

EDIT: Besides that, my Projector has a PC Monitor input, I just happend to buy a (latest) HDMI Cable when I was in the shop because I did not know of the limitations of that. big_smile
And its a freaking old model. People used to name it the "Volks-Beamer", because it was the first ever below 1000 Euros Projector on the market and became the most buyed one. Good enough for me. big_smile