Topic: How to prevent Ghosting?

I notice that when an object is moving to fast, around it, seems like a fuzzy image, I don't know how to explain it but it's not sharp and clear when it is still and not moving.....

Re: How to prevent Ghosting?

You can enable Artifact Masking option from disabled to weakest till strongest in your profile setting.

But that will definitely defeat the purpose of watching using SVP big_smile

mashingan wrote:

But that will definitely defeat the purpose of watching using SVP big_smile

Why is that? So there is no solution for this?

MaXimus
This kind of artifacts called ghosting artifacts. You can make it less visible by using 13-th SVP-shader and by masking as mashingan said.

MAG79
but the 13th SVP Shader = Standard is the default so it is already selected

Setting the Artifacts masking to average helped a little smile

7 (edited by tehen 05-11-2014 16:13:16)

For me the best compromise between amount of artifacts (like ghosting) and smoothness of the playback is setting framerate to "2x original framerate" instead of "to screen refresh". And setting Artifact Masking to "average". It reduces artifacts significantly but some still can be seen, i.e. when an objects moves in front of complex pattern like trees' leafs, grass etc.
If you leave default framerate (to screen refresh), and crank up Artifacts Masking to "highest", there won't be any artifacts whatsoever but also smoothness will be strongly degraded, but still better than w/o SVP..

I am waiting for SVP team to come up with new or improved motion interpolation algorithm wink

8 (edited by Fanty1972 09-11-2014 22:06:32)

MaXimus wrote:

MAG79
but the 13th SVP Shader = Standard is the default so it is already selected

I am sure MAG means Shader 23.
Its shader 23 that has a build in masking for ghosting artefacts (or to be exact: It has a bulild in masking for "Halo" (whats around objetcs that move in front of complicated stuff like trees) arftefacts). The masks use a complicated way of beeing calculated, so thats why it consumes considerable more hardware power.
I used it for some time, but I finaly went back to shader 13, because shader 23 has other problems that shader 13 solves better.

9 (edited by Fanty1972 09-11-2014 22:22:13)

tehen wrote:

For me the best compromise between amount of artifacts (like ghosting) and smoothness of the playback is setting framerate to "2x original framerate"

I agree that this is the best one can do, if one is allergic against artefacts but still wants the stuff to be smooth. All source frames apear in the final video (because its an integer multiplication) and 50% of the frames are "real" (artefact free) frames. (24 to 60 means only 12 of the original frames are used in the final result, thats 20% real frames versus 80% rendered frames)

The next best thing one can do is, to make sure one multiplies framerates by integer numbers----> 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x

24FPS to 60FPS (Wich is what most people get when turning movie to refreshrate) is actually a bad idea. 24 is best turned into 48, 72, 96 or 120 FPS.

For 25FPS (PAL) sources thats: 50, 75, 100 or 125

30FPS sources: turn best into: 60, 90 and 120 FPS.

Fanty1972
Its shader 23 that has a build in masking for ghosting artefacts (or to be exact: It has a bulild in masking for "Halo" (whats around objetcs that move in front of complicated stuff like trees) arftefacts). The masks use a complicated way of beeing calculated, so thats why it consumes considerable more hardware power.

The problem with 21th and 23th is the quality and precision of the "mask" and right now it's rather poor (but still much better than in MVTools).

21th is the most honest shader of all big_smile 
it shows "how it really works", BUT it also shows all flaws in motions vectors searching and in "cover-uncover" mask building

actually the mask is working but instead of halo you'll get less halo smile plus visible border in front of moving object