Topic: Specs for 120hz compatibility?

Hi guys,

My computer specs are:
geforce gtx 660
i5 3330
8gb of ram

I am currently running SVP fine on a 60 hz monitor. I am thinking of buying a 120 hz monitor and I want to know is whether I could handle running SVP smoothly on 120hz with my current set up?

Thank you

Re: Specs for 120hz compatibility?

CPU load will the same. GPU load will double. You can measure current CPU and GPU load to decide is your config enough.

Hmm how would I do that? Do you think my current GPU is capable of handling double the load?

You can try GPU-Z to measure GPU load.

does the amount of artifacts increase on 120fps?

Yes. The more smoothness the more visible artifacts.

7 (edited by Fanty1972 10-09-2014 05:23:39)

Hm.
Until now I thought that it may play a role if the new number of frames is a perfect uh... whats the word... of the original frame rate?

I thought 60 FPS = 2.5xOriginal Framerate
120 FPS = 5x original Framerate

And I thought until now that 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x orihinal frame rate has a higher amount of "original frames" in it than 2.5x or 3.5x or 4.5x and by this had less visible artefacts?
(thats what I thought makes the difference between 48FPS (2x) and 60FPS (2,5x) when it comes to artefacts.)

So, thats NOT the case? Its geneally: More FPS = more artefacts, no matter if its a round multiplication of frames or not?

Fanty1972
You are right about full number of original frames in the stream. It is better than only half of them. It must give more quality.
All 24 frames will be shown. And 4 intermediate frames will be shown between every pair of original frames. The amount of artifacts (interpolation errors) still be the same as in the case with 60 Hz monitor because of algorithm for calculation of new frames is the same. But in more frames we have more chance to notice them. So, then I talk about more smoothness makes more artifacts I talk about visibility of artifacts.

And I think you can find video where 120 Hz monitor gives more quality and more smoothness without any artifacts in compare to 60 Hz monitor. Thanks to SVPs interpolation algorithms wink

@Mag:

Ah ok.
The chance to notice them however would be identical between 60 and 120, in my opinion. In both cases, its 20% of the frames real (definately artefact free) and 80% of the frames are interpolated ones (possibly artefacted frames)
12 out of 60 or 24 out of 120. I am not sure, but that might look to human eyes somewhat like if the artefacts are a layer of 80% opacity? Them beeing there and gone and there and gone... should make them beeing somewhat translucent... uh at least I imagine that.

Thats only different at FPS like 48, where 50% of the frames are real and 50% are interpolated ones. (wich possibly lowers that "opacity" of the artefacts from 80% to 50%?)

Or those "tricks" like 2m = 80% real, 20% interpolated

10 (edited by rainking 12-09-2014 21:13:18)

OP, I have the same specs as you besides the cpu. I have a i3-3320 currently. But I do have a 120hz monitor and your CPU will be the bottleneck before the GPU. At 1080P 120hz the 660gtx only gets used to 50% max but my i3 gets bottlenecked unless  I switch to 60hz. So I'm going to buy an i5 this month or the next with a new motherboard since i5 last years compared to i3's. No issues with my i3 running 120hz at anything below 1080p though (including 1980x800 aka 1080p with the black bars). Having 4 cores, even if it's one of the less powered versions,  I don't think you will see any problems running 120 at 1080p.

And about artifacts at 120 , I notice artifacts A LOT more at 120 than 60. In fact, I'm so used to 120, I can barely notice the artifacts at 60 besides the most obvious cases like someone walking in front of background made of trees for example. But the great thing about 120 is you don't even care about the artifacts once you get used to the highly improved smoothness compared to 60hz.

Maybe artifacts will be solved some day soon, I hope.

11 (edited by Fanty1972 13-09-2014 02:27:55)

@rainking:

Sure about more artefacts at 120FPS than at 60? With identical settings?
Or something else lowered to gain enough power to reach 120?

Maybe its the case, I almost always watch at 120 FPS (3D capable Notebook. Thats why it has a 120Hz Display) and my beamer is also set to 120Hz.
My only 60FPS experience are some videos that I converted to 60FPS to play them on my smartphone (because 24FPS is almost unbearable to my eyes meanwhile)

You are right about the smoothness definately. If you are used to 120FPS, you see a difference to 60FPS, specially in stuff like Camera pans or something like that.

But by pure theory, I cant imagine why there should be more artefacts.
Because in 60FPS aswell as 120FPS it should be (worst case, we assume ALL interpolated frames beeing artefact pested):

None artefact frame
artefact frame
artefact frame
artefact frame
artefact frame
None artefact frame
artefact frame
artefact frame
artefact frame
artefact frame
None artefact frame
and so on.....

just twice as fast in 120FPS, but the same pattern. 80% frames with artefacts in em and 20% without (worst case scenario)

With setting: "Double source frame rate 2x" it would be different:
None artefact frame
artefact frame
None artefact frame
artefact frame
and so on

I don't think there's MORE artifacts, just that I can see them more clearly at 120hz. 60hz blurs them a bit.