1 (edited by Vpx 17-08-2014 16:05:54)

Topic: Can't play 1080p, forced on integrated graphic

Hi

I've been searching and I can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I have an MSI GE60 2PE with an i7-4710HQ and an NVIDIA GTX860M. This should be able to play 1080p smoothly, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It just goes around 35~45 FPS, not being watchable.

On GPU-Z I see about 70% of the intel GPU usage, while the NVIDIA stays on about 5%, meaning the video is being processed by the iGPU. On the NVIDIA drivers I can't change MPC-HC to the GTX860M, it's grayed out. OpenCL is enabled on SVP to run on the NVIDIA. I tried renaming mpc-hc.exe to mpc-hc2.exe and then I was able to force it on the NVIDIA using the driver control panel, but then all I get is a black screen, no video sad

Has anyone been able to make svp work properly in a laptop with intel GPU + nvidia? My cousing has a laptop with just an NVIDIA GT540M, but as he doesn't have any intel card on the laptop it runs 1080p smoothly.

Re: Can't play 1080p, forced on integrated graphic

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 005#p44005

3 (edited by Vpx 17-08-2014 22:24:53)

Yeah, i've seen that topic already and tried changing the settings. Managed to improve the fps a bit, but still not stable at 60 since the iGPU can't handle it sad

this's strange cause hd4600 is sufficient for rendering onto 1080p screen
try to move video decoding to gtx by selecting "CUVID" method in LAV video decoder

yeah, and turn off all video enhancement options in Intel's video driver!

CUVID is already enabled in the LAV video decoder. All video enhancement options are turned off in the Intel video driver. The cpu usage is at 100% during video playback (4g profile), ~96% if I set SVP to 2g, but still it can't play at 60FPS., it stays around 54.

96% usage on i7-4710HQ with 2g profiles?
it can't be  hmm
run SVPmark tests to check if something is wrong with hardware

8 (edited by Vpx 18-08-2014 13:29:41)

Chainik wrote:

96% usage on i7-4710HQ with 2g profiles?
it can't be  hmm
run SVPmark tests to check if something is wrong with hardware

Here's the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g9f7o6h0c74f … 8_1413.log

I now managed to run 1080p in the 2g profile at 60FPS, but there is still 100% cpu usage..

EDIT: 4g profile, it's running at about 56FPS, 100% cpu usage. Intel gpu is at about 50%, nvidia is at 15% (single screen).

It seems that having 2 more screens connected can affect the performance a bit, but it still isn't working properly with single screen. The benchmark was ran in single screen.

based on SVPmark scores - it should work like a charm on at least 3g profiles

Chainik wrote:

based on SVPmark scores - it should work like a charm on at least 3g profiles

Yeah, but there's still something wrong. My cousin's laptop has a much lower cpu usage with a weaker cpu. Maybe it has nothing to do with SVP though, I'll try to figure something out.

Thanks for your help.

11 (edited by Lion 06-09-2014 17:25:44)

Hello There. I found a 100% working workaround for this issue (it seems to be affecting a lot of Intel + Nvidia Hybrid Graphics Laptops from my testing, so far all of them are affected (3 Systems tested)).

Here's what you gotta do to get SVP working in all it's glory!

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY. One missed setting and it WILL NOT WORK!

After installing SVP, do this:

1 - Right Click SVP Manager on the background apps icon, and change the "Interface Mode" to "Expert";
2 - Right Click it again, and this time go to "GPU Acceleration" and select "Disabled" (or if you don't have this, unckeck the option "GPU-Aceleration");
3 - Right click it again, and go to "Video Modes" » "Reset to Defaults". A new window will pop-up.
4 - Change the "Rendering Mode" from "g. GPU" to "c. CPU".  Leave the "CPU Performance Level" at the one SVP chose automatically (in case after following all instructions the video is still slow, Select the profile "4" or "3" and try again).
5 - Press OK. Re-Reset the Settings to Default, and make sure SVP still has "Rendering Mode: c. CPU" Selected.
6 - Right click it one Last time, and go to "Turn Off on Seek" and select "Don't turn off".
7 - Now, Open up Media Player Classic. Click "View » Options". Select the "Playback  -  Output" Option. Copy all settings from the bellow image. ALL OF THEM MUST BE COPIED 1 BY 1 OR IT WILL NOT WORK.

Image:
http://i.imgur.com/GxapNnf.png
Link to Imgur Image Page (in case the image above does not show): http://imgur.com/GxapNnf

IMPORTANT NOTES:

On some PC's, the video wont be smooth unless you are running the video on Fullscreen (double click on the video to open fullscreen mode).
On some PC's, it might take SVP 3~4s to stabilize the image. Once stable, it will remain smooth for the rest of the video.
On Some PC's, the video WON'T be smooth UNLESS you view it in FULLSCREEN.

Bonus Tip:

If you don't like it when SVP switches from Smooth to "Not Smooth" on action Scenes, open a video, double click the "SVP Manager" icon on the background tasks bar, and select "Uniform (Max Smoothness)" on the option "Frames Interpolation Mode".

Now, i'm not sure why GPU acceleration is not working properly on these Intel/Nvidia Computers, all i know is with this CPU-Only settings it just works and we can all enjoy SVP in all it's glory smile

Hope this helps other people with problems!

Lion
Yeah, I have to test this a bit better, but CPU-only seems to be the better option for these laptops.

Smooth 1080p is working now big_smile

wow !!! it works .. is the svp cant run on newer graphic cards? i use gtx 860m which is a maxwell based.. really dont know how to configure the svp at the 1st place
thanks a ton @Lion

syahazu
is the svp cant run on newer graphic cards?

Blame NVidia and/or Intel with their Optimus drivers

I personally don't have any issues on a laptop with AMD graphics

BTW, anyone tried to play with madVR renderer instead of EVR?

Hello. I did a few updates to the settings in the topic before. I had the Output set to "Video Mixing Renderer 9", but i found out that it will slowly go out-of-sync with the audio. So, switch to the new image's settings (basically just switch "Video mixing Renderer 9" for "Enhanced Video Renderer (Custom)" and it will be working flawless.

As for Chainik question: I did get the chance to try out another Intel + Nvidia combo (i7 one with GTX740M), and i think i narrowed the issue down to the Intel Drivers. I disabled the Nvidia GPU, rebooted the system and tried to run the videos after reseting SVP.

As usual, MadVR would have extremely choppy playback on Windowed mode, and in Fullscreen it would be in slow motion. Using GPU acceleration (OpenCL) ticked, all video renderer modes would make the video run on slow motion as well.

And again, using the above settings, (disabling GPU acceleration and setting the PC to the profile "4c" on "Video Modes" » "Reset to default", etc) would leave the PC able to render 1080p videos at proper 60FPS without any jumpiness.

I also noticed that it's EXTREMELY important to have the option "D3D Fullscreen" ticked on MPC. Without it, the video is very choppy, so make sure you don't forget it!

Interesting question is: if you turn on GPU acceleration in SVP and select NV card as a target - will you see any load of NV's GPU in some monitoring software?

I mean if nothing can make it render the video through NV card may be (may be!) OpenCL code (executed inside the very same video player process) is actually running on Intel's GPU too.  hmm

18 (edited by Lion 06-09-2014 19:16:04)

Hi Chainik. On the system i had here a few minutes ago, if i remember correctly, it would not give any load to the Nvidia GPU when nvidia was ticked, just Intel, like the setting didn't change anything. Intel's load would be around 30~ 40% on 1080p, i don't quite understand what happens for it to be so stuttery.

I'll try to check it again once i get the chance, but i am almost certain it did not give any load to the Nvidia GPU when Nvidia was ticked.

EDIT: Btw, Chainik, i remembered that on Nvidia Drivers, i am unable to change Media Player Classic's GPU for rendering, it's stuck on "Integrated Graphics" option, maybe this is the cause for the OpenCL checkbox not working? Is there any workaround you can think of?

i am almost certain it did not give any load to the Nvidia GPu when Nvidia was ticked.

it can explain everything if it's true

and then please double check with SVPmark if it's working correctly (higher scores with NV card selected plus some load on NV GPU and lower scores with Intel's one)

Video driver is detecting "video player" software, that's why you can't choose discrete graphics for "mpc-hc.exe" in NV Control Panel (and with AMD graphics too). Renaming "mpc-hc.exe" to "mpc-hc2.exe" fools the control panel BUT actual rendering is still done with Intel's card (it's easy to check with EVR renderer, just press Ctrl+J). Which means the video player detection is more intellectual than just checking .exe name.
May be in this case all OpenCL calls are routed by the driver to Intel's card too.