1 (edited by goat on a stick 31-07-2014 04:02:10)

Topic: Severe performance drop

I recently followed one of the guides on this forum to set up my SVP http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=516

For weeks, it ran very well. I used the highest profile, and was able to run 24 fps 1080p video at 60fps in fullscreen and in a window.

However, for some random reason, performance has dropped to around x0.6 and I can't get full speed with the same videos and the same settings I had.
I've tried removing and re-installing everything listed in the guide, and I have not installed anything else recently.

I have an AMD 8150 with an R9 290 and I only see around 35% cpu usage. If I was able to run it before, I'm at a loss of what would be stopping me now.

I've tried running on the lowest profile, using only double framerate instead of matching to screen refresh (60), toggling GPU rendering for SVP, and toggling software rendering for LAV, but that only gets me to x0.8 and I know I had smooth performance  at one point with the highest profile so something must be wrong?

I keep looking for more suggestions for performance fixes on this forum, but I can't find anything to help me to get to my previous performance levels even with the lowest profile.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem?

edit: here's my results from SVPmark, they look kind of low, but my 3dmark 11 score is the same as the day I put the system together!

Test summary
-----------------------
  Date: 2014-07-30T17:40:05
  CPU:  AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core @3600 MHz [8 threads]
  GPU:  AMD/ATI Radeon R9 200 [ver.1348.5]
  Mode: FHD + GPU [17 threads]

Overall scores
-----------------------
  Synthetic CPU:                  MC1876
  Synthetic GPU:                  MG1900
  Real-life:                      FG1504

Details: synthetic
-----------------------
  CPU: compose (single-threaded): 380
  CPU: compose (multi-threaded):  2052
  CPU: search (single-threaded):  355
  CPU: search (multi-threaded):   1728
  GPU: system -> GPU transfer:    135
  GPU: GPU -> system transfer:    168
  GPU: calculations:              622
  GPU: total score:               950

Details: real-life /FHD
-----------------------
  decode video:                   13.47x (323.4 fps)
  48 fps - vectors search:        1.44x (69.1 fps)
  60 fps - frame composition:     1.51x (90.7 fps)
  48 fps - [SVP] fastest:         2.27x (109.0 fps)
  48 fps - [SVP] simple 1:        2.18x (104.7 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] good:            1.49x (89.5 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] high:            1.40x (83.9 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] highest:         0.74x (44.5 fps)
  72 fps - [SVP] simple 2:        1.51x (108.9 fps)

Re: Severe performance drop

goat on a stick
Did you try to reset profiles (SVP tray menu - Video profiles - Reset to defaults - OK - Yes)?

Yes, I did. Tried it with the automatically-detected profile, and by manually choosing the lower profile.

HOWEVER!

After trying to reinstall it again, instead of following the guide, I decided to only use the bundled version of the codecs, and leave the default settings.

Now I can say, after only turning off GPU for SVP, I can now play full 60fps in highest profile with no frame rate drop! Yay!

Something's wrong with video card, SVPmark scores're abnormally low