Topic: DVD Playback Lag

Sometimes when playing DVDs, the playback lags with dropped frames. It happened when reading from the DVD, and it also happened on a rip that I made with MakeKRV (which copies the exact same data to my hard drive). It happened with several DVDs.

I also tried disabling madVR, and the dropped frames continued. I also closed SVP to play only with MPC-HC, and there were no dropped frames anymore. So the issue is with SVP.

After closing and re-opening SVP, however, the lag stopped and now it plays fine.

Unlike the other lag issue I mentioned, which happens when the display ratio is out of wack, the lag happened when playing 25fps @ 12:5. Frame rate is good. This is a separate lag issue.

Is there any additional data I can provide that will help identify the issue?

Re: DVD Playback Lag

Correction: as I wrote this, there were no dropped frames, but 2 minutes later, it still drops frames. It drops about 12 frames per second right now.

Here's a screenshot of the performance graph. The interesting thing is that the frame rate keeps varying!

VLC says it is a 29.97 fps video. However, SVP views it as variable frame rate and keeps switching its frame rate.

Could it be that there is a lag due to weird ratios, and that lag causes a bottleneck in the amount of frames coming in, and it then recalculates its ratio based on the amount of frames that came in?

Post's attachments

DvdPlayback.png, 24.38 kb, 486 x 582
DvdPlayback.png 24.38 kb, 455 downloads since 2014-05-06 

3 (edited by Mystery 13-05-2014 06:53:25)

No answer on this?

The DVD plays fine for a while at 29.97 fps with a 2:1 ratio, then at some point, the frame rate and ratio start jumping all over the place.

Here is a screen capture of the Performance Monitor when this happens.

Post's attachments

DvdPlaybackMonitor.mp4 418.33 kb, 457 downloads since 2014-05-13 

Mystery
No answer on this?

nobody plays DVDs nowadays  big_smile

Chainik wrote:

Very few brand-new laptops come with a Blueray drive. DVDs are still widely used for non-YouTube commercial content.

Chainik wrote:

Mystery
No answer on this?

I disagree.