Topic: how can I convert 24p to 60p without the smooth interpolation?

I just want the frames to be repeated for a demo.
For example, the video source is 24fps, frame 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5......23
the target would be 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5,.......
I saw AviSynth has script SelectEvery(2, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1) can do this. but don't how to do it with SVP player. Anybody can help?:)

Re: how can I convert 24p to 60p without the smooth interpolation?

Why? Any player does it on-the-fly. It repeats every frame from 24 fps video several times to get 60 Hz.

3 (edited by swiths 21-04-2014 03:01:08)

en, I need this for a demo. and the sequence  0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5,....... should be kept exactly. Not sure if the player can ensure this or not. roll

swiths
Ok. What is bad in SVP official demo mode: SVP tray menu - Demonstration mode?
Left part of frame "Source" shows 0,0,1,1,1...
Right part of frame "Smooth" shows video processed with SVP

MAG79
Thanks, Mag79.

Instead of the half frames, May I have a whole frame of  0,0, 1,1,1 "source" by "Frame interpolation mode: off" & "Target frame rate: 24 -> 60"? big_smile

Yes. Exit SVP. Open ffdShow. Go to Avisynth tab.
write:

SelectEvery(2, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1)

enable option "Add ffdShow video source"
enable Avisynth option
OK

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3160

Post's attachments

SelectEvery.png, 17.57 kb, 568 x 479
SelectEvery.png 17.57 kb, 437 downloads since 2014-04-21 

7 (edited by swiths 21-04-2014 05:47:45)

MAG79

Many thanks!!!

My silly question is when will this change take effect? it'll change the default behavior after I click the apply? or I need to change somewhere in the SVP configuration? hmm

swiths
It will work till SVP is not loaded. When SVP will be launched it will disable user's avisynth-script and will use its own auto-script. After exit SVP user's script will be restored.
So, you don't need change anything else.

MAG79

a little bit confused.  sad so you mean which player should I use for the 24p -> 60p playback?

Any player. For example MPC-HC from SVP folder after install Full version of SVP.
When I wrote SVP I meant SVP-Manager.

MAG79 wrote:

Any player. For example MPC-HC from SVP folder after install Full version of SVP.
When I wrote SVP I meant SVP-Manager.

got it. so I need to close SVP manager to let ffdshow use the selectEvery script.

Many thanks for your kindly guidence. lol  tongue

swiths
You are welcome smile

13 (edited by swiths 30-04-2014 01:43:28)

MAG79
Hi Mag79,

I've tried MPC-HC with AviSynth script: selectEvery(2, 0, 0, 0, 1 , 1) but the video cadence is not always as expected 3:2 style. After about 2 seconds, there's some incorrect cadences. Here is a snapshot. Each DWORD is a value generated from the frame content so that if they're duplicated, it means the frames are repeated.

Do you have any idea if I'm not using correct playback options like accurate/alternative vsync, or anything I can try to narrow down? roll for example, can we verify if AviSynth+ffdshow is doing the selectevery correctly? by dumping the frames to somewhere? Or it's related to the presentation during vsync?

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3185&download=0

Post's attachments

repeat-3-2--accurate+alternativeVsync.png, 90.34 kb, 792 x 663
repeat-3-2--accurate+alternativeVsync.png 90.34 kb, 410 downloads since 2014-04-29 

swiths
If you want frame-accurate output then use ReClock. It can synchronize video framerate to display refresh rate by correcting speed of audio and video streams.
But frame time stamps marked red is abnormal in any case.

can we verify if AviSynth+ffdshow is doing the selectevery correctly?
Yes.

ScriptClip("subtitle(string(current_frame))")
selectEvery(2, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1)

It shows frame number at left top corner of frame.

15 (edited by swiths 30-04-2014 03:05:40)

MAG79 wrote:

ReClock

Many thanks!

Do you mean ReClock is another directshow filter, as ffdshow can NOT support accurate frame output? does ReClock support MPC-HC also? hmm

Yes. ReClock is another DS-filter. It is audio-renderer.
But No. inaccurate is not some filter. Inaccurate is any try to show 59.94 fps at 60.xxx Hz display. ReClock fixes it by change 59.94 speed to 60.xxx speed. See ReClock documentation for more info.

MAG79
oh? so I'd use ReClock + ffdshow + MPC-HC, right? I'll try to google ReClock. big_smile

as to the red stamped frames, is that because of tearing? but I remember I was turning on vsync, accurate vsync , alternative vsync. hmm

swiths
ReClock official forum/site. See Readme file in the folder where application installed. Or in the Start button menu - Programs - ReClock - Read Me First! shortcut.

is that because of tearing?
I don't know is it tearing or not, but I see at your picture more than 2 identical frames at 5 positions.

alternative vsync
Use it if you really know what is it. I don't use it because I don't know. I use madVR's windowed overlay or fullscreen exclusive mode to avoid dropped frames.

MAG79 wrote:

swiths
ReClock official forum/site. See Readme file in the folder where application installed. Or in the Start button menu - Programs - ReClock - Read Me First! shortcut.

is that because of tearing?
I don't know is it tearing or not, but I see at your picture more than 2 identical frames at 5 positions.

alternative vsync
Use it if you really know what is it. I don't use it because I don't know. I use madVR's windowed overlay or fullscreen exclusive mode to avoid dropped frames.

thanks, i'll try madVR also. it's not installed by default.

swiths
MadVR has useful OSD statistics by Ctrl-J hotkey. Especially about dropped and pending frames.
What renderer did you use before?

22 (edited by swiths 30-04-2014 08:24:53)

MAG79 wrote:

swiths
MadVR has useful OSD statistics by Ctrl-J hotkey. Especially about dropped and pending frames.
What renderer did you use before?

I was using 'Enhanced Video Render(custom presenter)'.

[update]

haven't got chance to try ReClock but it looks MadVR has much better results now...

almost 247 of the total 256 frames are correct aaabb(3:2) cadence, also the red frames are not so odd as they're duplicate of previous or next frames.
So it seems it's the render/presenter's fault, instead of ddshow codec or AvisSynth's ? roll

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3188&download=0

Post's attachments

madVR-3.png, 85 kb, 860 x 599
madVR-3.png 85 kb, 475 downloads since 2014-04-30 

swiths
So it seems it's the render/presenter's fault
Yes. I agree with you.

I was using 'Enhanced Video Render(custom presenter)'
This renderer sometimes produces dropped frames. One of method to avoid drops in EVR CP is to enable fullscreen D3D.

almost 247 of the total 256 frames are correct aaabb(3:2) cadence
This picture looks better wink
Can you tell what tools are you using for that (Memory 1 / m_dwStat)?

Instead of ReClock you can also switch your display to custom refresh rate. For this you need to create custom mode and add it to list of display modes.
I added 59 Hz mode and costomized it manually in NVIDIA control panel as close as possible to 59.94 Hz

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3189

Post's attachments

madVR_stats.png, 67.75 kb, 338 x 549
madVR_stats.png 67.75 kb, 463 downloads since 2014-04-30 

MAG79 wrote:

Instead of ReClock you can also switch your display to custom refresh rate. For this you need to create custom mode and add it to list of display modes.
I added 59 Hz mode and costomized it manually in NVIDIA control panel as close as possible to 59.94 Hz

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3189

MAG79 wrote:

swiths

Can you tell what tools are you using for that (Memory 1 / m_dwStat)?

that is a memory dump debugger window running on a capturē device.

i am using a 60hz panel and madvr shows its 59.xxxfps. need i customize a 59.xxx hz refresh rate?