1 (edited by ddragon 01-09-2013 07:04:21)

Topic: trade-offs with artifact masking

I'm curious but can anyone please tell me why we cannot use full artifact masking and still have fluid motion. Too hard on the CPU? It would be nice if artifact masking was not even a feature and we wouldn't have to put up with that jittery blur with motion on small objects moving.

I also was testing on my quad core and Nvidia system that any setting less than full seem to not work. From week settings to above normal all showed a distorted picture but when I went to full the artifacts diminished but then so did my smooth motion.

are artifacts the trade-offs forever that we have to have with SVP? It is a price to pay in quality for smooth video. It's too bad but at the end of the day I will still choose smooth video and I'm grateful to be using this software.

But do you think in the future we can have less artifacts in maybe future development and still retain the smooth video?

Re: trade-offs with artifact masking

ddragon
"full artifact masking" is not good solution to remove artifacts. It is just temporal solution to reduce visibility of them.
To remove jitter from small objects use smaller grid sizes.

any setting less than full seem to not work
They work but in SVP 3.1.5 make picture with nothing to masking. smile Only hard artifacts present there.

do you think in the future we can have less artifacts
Yes. We work on it. wink

ddragon
I also was testing on my quad core and Nvidia system that any setting less than full seem to not work. From week settings to above normal all showed a distorted picture but when I went to full the artifacts diminished but then so did my smooth motion.

Yes I found this also. The only setting that really worked was 'Strongest' but as MAG79 says, this is not really a full time solution.

I'm using the smallest grid size but that does not remove the artifacts from fast moving objects, though it does reduce them. I hope future versions can improve on this, as then SVP will be perfect.

Martin Prince
I'm using the smallest grid size

Use 5G + 1.5 interpolation + Grid 24px

5 (edited by Martin Prince 29-09-2013 17:01:46)

dlr5668 wrote:

Use 5G + 1.5 interpolation + Grid 24px

Yes, the 1.5 Interpolation will get rid of most of the artefacts (with the loss of some smoothness) but the grid size of 24px just seems to give less CPU usage but the effect is not apparent in comparison to 7px or 8px