Topic: What editor / filter for MKV editing?

Well now that I have my Go Pro footage interpolated back to 30fps and then muxed to add the original audio back on, it is all in MKV which plays back fine but I am pulling my hair out trying to find a way to edit it all together as MKV seems to be the bane of any video editing software from Lightworks to Windows Movie Maker 2012!

Has anyone got experience in this? I've got the final product I was after but I can't use it to make an actual video! I've even been trying to mux the MP4 I get from MeGUI with the original AVI from my Go Pro with 'AVImux GUI' and other muxing programs but everyone either doesn't work, doesn't support one of the file formats or just errors on one of them...I even used another program called 'Handbrake' to convert the end result MKV files back to MP4 and then used the Go Pro 'CineForm Studio' software to convert it back to AVI yet there's still something wrong with the file as Lightworks gives a codec not supported error and WMM 2012 just doesnt like it.

Any help would again be much appreciated! The main goal is to just use what I have now - MKV files - in a video editing application without any further mucking around.

Thanks,

Craig

Re: What editor / filter for MKV editing?

Found the solution so I'll answer my own OP tongue

The answer for anyone else wondering about this is - AVS Video Editor

The MKVs import straight in without issue and it looks pretty feature packed for video editing to a wide range of formats with some nice advanced options. You can buy a 1 year access subscription for $39 (US$ I think) or an unlimited access subscription for $59 which from the looks of it, gives you access to download and fully utilise any of their range of products for video, audio, image converters, editors, players, etc plus other misc apps (around 16 different apps I think). You can also just download the trial of AVS Video Editor and still get full feature access to the application, you simply have to put up with a watermark that goes away after 1 minute into the video you produce with it.

http://www.avs4you.com/index.aspx

Hope that helps anyone in the same predicament I was in...I mean that guide for converting to 60 FPS is great but the MKV files it leaves you with are almost useless for editing afterwards unless you have the exact right software.

Cheers,

Craig

You may prefer to this step by step guide to edit MKV files.

It supports editing MKV files in many aspects. Hope it can fulfill your needs.

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 01-07-2015 17:29:14)

For this "problem" I normally just open an MKV that's just the video stream with Avidemux (free, open-source software) and then use it to copy the raw video stream into an an AVI or MP4 container.  Works every time except that it likes to insist that 30.000fps content is 29.97. tongue