1 (edited by marauderxp 08-07-2013 12:31:04)

Topic: Stuttering on specific movements

Hi.

Recently I upgraded to an I7 3770K and have been experiencing a stutter when there is a movement of a large object going across the screen or when there's a scene with a flashing light, eg police car lights.
It only happens on certain objects/scenes when there is a big difference. For instance, 95% of the opening credits of Superman Returns is perfectly smooth, but a couple of times when the bright wording appears when there's motion in the background, it will sutter (scene change detection???).
This is not a drop in fps but something else. I can play any kind of fullscreen motion perfectly smooth, but when there's a certain flashing of something in the foreground, it stutters for only 1 second and then is fine.

Fullscreen panning is perfectly smooth unless there is a sudden object or lights flashing onto the screen.

It's a very strange issue and one I didn't have before on my I5?

I have a GTX 580, 8gb RAM, and there are no fps drops (it's always @ 60hz), and cpu usage is always low.

It seems like a scene detection issue?

I have tried so many different settings, I've tried blend adjacent frames and it's a little tiny bit better I think, but the problem is still there.
Tried different decoders, different video renderers (MADVR/EVR etc) and different players.
As I said, before I upgraded to the I7, I didn't have this problem. And I only changed the CPU, nothing else.

Win7
GTX 580
8gb RAM

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Re: Stuttering on specific movements

marauderxp
It seems like a scene detection issue?
Yes. It is look like a work of scene detection algorithm.

You can get more smoothenes and more fluidity. You can do one or more changes from these ones for this purpose:

Profile settings:
- disable adaptive mode: set frame interpolation mode to uniform;
- use sharpest SVP-shaders: 2.Sharp or 23.Complicated;
- disable artifact masking;
- reduce stuttering at scene changes: set processing of scene changes to Blend adjacent frames.

Expert settings (change file override.js):
- uncomment and increase smooth.scene.limits.scene;
- uncomment and decrease smooth.scene.limits.zero if video have not any noise;
- uncomment and increase smooth.scene.limits.blocks.
read more at wiki-page Plugins: SVPflow

* uncomment = remove double slash (//) in the beginning of line.

Hi MAG. Thanks for the reply.

I've actually tried all the different settings and the settings I've always used are Uniform + Complicated shaders. The others are on default, and I've tried changing them and tried setting to blend, but no change. As I said though, it's only started happening since I got the I7?????

But later I will try those other settings in the override.js you mentioned and see how that goes. Thanks.

Wow, thankyou so much MAG. I edited those 3 settings in the override.js and guessed the numbers to increase/decrease to and at a quick test, it seems to have fixed the problem.
Still strange though that it didn't happen on the I5???

Anyway, thankyou again smile

marauderxp
Maybe it was not the same video material on i5 and on i7.
Settings of smoothing are identical for both processors: profile set "5g".

Well after I upgraded to the I7 and went to watch a movie, I noticed the stuttering, so then I played back the same material that I had watched previously on the I5 and it happened on there too and every other material. So then I tried every different settiing in Advanced/expert and no luck.

I thought it may be to do with hyperthreading, as the I5 didn't have that. So I disabled that, but made no difference.

I even tried interframegui to see if it was one of the settings native to SVP manager, but it still happened after doing a conversion with Interframe. So maybe an Avisynth / buffer issue?
But doesn't matter now, as those settings in the override.js you told me to change have seemed to fix it.

marauderxp

Hi! I have the same problem as you and we have pretty much the same specs so is it okay if I ask you the figures you used for the override.js? I'm not sure by how much I should increase it. by 1,000's? or 100's? etc.