1 (edited by travolter 28-02-2013 12:26:12)

Topic: resize to save CPU

what is the more efficient way to resize a video before SVP processing? (not enough CPU here for my favourite smooth settings).

Currently I use potplayer internal resize, but I wonder if there is a more efficient (CPU saving) way (maybe adding avisynth resize?). FFDSHOW has also resize.. and SVP have a setting to do resize .. but Im not sure what option is better in the video chain. Other ways/tools to apply resize before SVP?

(Im not asking here if lanczos is better than bicubic...  thats another stoy) wink

Re: resize to save CPU

This is my old table of downsample speed comparing.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=2359

Translation:
Title: CPU Load while software downscale video from 1080p to 1280x720.
Head of the table: Application | Resize-algo | SVP-index | CPU Load.

SVP was used for measure real-time speed only (SVP-index), and did not perform video more smooth (Frame interpolation: Off).

wink

Post's attachments

DownResize_Speed.png, 32.6 kb, 351 x 593
DownResize_Speed.png 32.6 kb, 532 downloads since 2013-02-28 

3 (edited by AndreaMG 28-02-2013 13:11:47)

I think SVP (via avisynth) works before the renderer resizing, that's why you can easily max out SVP settings while playing SD videos, if you get SVP to work after resizing is done (maybe via avisynth?) the resources required will be much higher (as if you were playing native 1080 video). My suggestion is to let MadVR handle the resizing (there are tons of options). It would be great to be able to have SVP working after MadVR resizing, but I think SVP should be integrated into the video renderer in order to achieve that. Let's wait for a confirmation from Mag  smile

4 (edited by travolter 28-02-2013 14:38:09)

Thanks a lot for share the table MAG79. I know very well now time consuming are these tests (I usually do OS benchs).
Ill check now if potplayer internal resize is less or more cpu hungry than ffdshow one wink

Ill report later

EDIT.- Potplayer and FFdshow provide very similar performance (probably Pot is using ffdhshow code)

AndreaMG
SVP (via avisynth) works before the renderer resizing
Yes. You are right.

if you get SVP to work after resizing is done (maybe via avisynth?) the resources required will be much higher
...if you doing upscale. I think travolter told about reduce CPU Load by downscaling video before smoothing.

It would be great to be able to have SVP working after MadVR resizing
This approach have several principle limits:
- MadVR works with RGB (16 bit per channel internally), SVP - with YV12 only (12 bit on all channels);
- MadVR store frames in video memory, SVP needed for frames in operation memory;
- SVP has tighter integration with avisynth and ffdShow, we need to make independent standalone DS filter first.

But who knows? See it in the future wink

travolter
Potplayer and FFdshow provide very similar performance
Thank you for test.

Thanks for the clarifications Mag  smile