1,551 (edited by flowreen91 08-05-2024 21:23:43)

Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

dawkinscm wrote:

Thanks. I've tried various combinations

I think it's easier to test if u go to line 222 from generate.js and delete the following:
    if(profile.rife)
    {
    if(profile.rife_sc==6) rife_sc_algo = 1;
    else if(profile.rife_sc==8) rife_sc_algo = 2;
    else rife_sc_algo = 0;
    }
    else rife_sc_algo = -1;
then replace with following line for "scene change based on SVP's motion vectors"
    rife_sc_algo = 1;
or replace with following line for "scene change based on Nvidia Optical Flow's motion vectors"
    rife_sc_algo = 2;
or replace with following line for "scene change based on dumb frame comparison"
    rife_sc_algo = 0;

Chainik wrote:

how is this easier than choosing "6%" in the gui? hmm

(manually editing the file this way allows u to use your own rife_sc value therefore removing that slight difference between rife_sc 6 and 8, thus making it easier for u to see the changes xD )

Chainik wrote:

> NVOF algo fixes vertical motion artefacts but causes problems elsewhere.

It just can't "cause problems". It can only:
a. (_very_ unlikely!) miss the scene change that is actually a scene change --> which shows RIFE's artifacts at this frame
b. mark a scene change where there's no scene change --> makes it choppy where it could be not choppy

that Hugo?

Sorry I was sloppy with my language but at 6% it's 'b' and at '8%' it seems to be a combination of the two.

Yes that Hugo at the intro when the night sky starts to appear. The choppyness sometimes starts earlier but always happens from when the night sky appears onwards.

1,553 (edited by dawkinscm 08-05-2024 19:20:47)

flowreen91 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Thanks. I've tried various combinations

I think it's easier to test if u go to line 222 from generate.js and delete the following:
    if(profile.rife)
    {
    if(profile.rife_sc==6) rife_sc_algo = 1;
    else if(profile.rife_sc==8) rife_sc_algo = 2;
    else rife_sc_algo = 0;
    }
    else rife_sc_algo = -1;
then replace with following line for "scene change based on SVP's motion vectors"
    rife_sc_algo = 1;
or replace with following line for "scene change based on Nvidia Optical Flow's motion vectors"
    rife_sc_algo = 2;
or replace with following line for "scene change based on dumb frame comparison"
    rife_sc_algo = 0;

Yes that's fine, but it's just a simple conditional so I didn't bother adding code. It was simple enough just to make changes and test.

%APPDATA%\SVP4\override.js

smooth.scene.limits.blocks = 40;

default value is 20
with 40 at least the Hugo intro - the fly over the city and through the train station - is better (almost no scene changes)

btw

smooth.debug.qmode = true;

will draw a color square in the frame corner, when it's red it's a scene change

flowreen91
> I think it's easier to test if u go to line 222 from generate.js and delete the following

Chainik wrote:

default value is 20
with 40 at least the Hugo intro - the fly over the city and through the train station - is better (almost no scene changes)

btw

I just switched off the computer damn you wink Switching it back on now big_smile

1,556 (edited by dawkinscm 09-05-2024 08:46:29)

Chainik wrote:

default value is 20

btw

APOLOGIES I MESSED THIS UP A LITTLE BEFORE. FIXED NOW!
Definite improvements at 8%

- 8% with nvof - Solid green square when Spidey descends.
Still doesn't fix the horizontal fast motion issue (see Amazing Spiderman at 1:52:48). But is otherwise the best overall and smooth with Hugo.

6% with dumb algo best for Spidey.

The others are all better than dumb algo at 6% and 8% respectively. But not as smooth as 8% with nvof or 10%+ with dumb algo.
- 6% with SVP - Flashing yellow/green square when Spidey descends.
- 6% with nvof - Solid green square when he descends.
- 8% with svp - Solid green square when he descends.

1,557 (edited by dawkinscm 08-05-2024 22:14:26)

OK another update. My previous tests were all with blend which is how I left it from previous testing. With duplicate frames 8% works better with Spidey and as well as 6% does with dumb algo. None of them are great but I think this is an issue with the model. From previous testing a few months back, setting SC at below 6% with the dumb algo will fix this issue while causing stuttering everywhere else. It's almost as if it turns of SC for that scene.

I hope some of this helps. 8% with nvof and duplicate frames might end up being my default from now on. But then I can find at least one other scene where the best option is SC=100 and the square is solid blue so...?

1,558 (edited by RickyAstle98 09-05-2024 08:59:11)

[deleted]

> Then how to make proper frame blending when RIFE_SC threshold over 15?

this is why you need a MV-based scene change detection instead of dumb image comparison

1,560 (edited by RickyAstle98 09-05-2024 09:16:37)

Chainik wrote:

this is why you need a MV-based scene change detection instead of dumb image comparison

I did already, I fix this issue, tooks about 5 minutes to find out, anyway thanks!
Update : I also noticed seek performance drop, about 2x times with NVOF vectors used!

1,561 (edited by RickyAstle98 09-05-2024 09:08:49)

Chainik wrote:

Last question, how to add custom scene change values into SVP UI instead finding rife_sc all the time?

> instead finding rife_sc all the time?

just don't close the window big_smile

Chainik wrote:

> instead finding rife_sc all the time?

just don't close the window big_smile

sad

https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 672#p84672
updated svpflow2_vs.dll, default value for scene.limits.blocks set to 40 for RIFE

Chainik wrote:

updated svpflow2_vs.dll, default value for scene.limits.blocks set to 40 for RIFE

You're welcome wink

Chainik wrote:

Is this an official SVP update? When will it become available?

Chainik wrote:

2. scene change based on SVP's motion vectors - when "scene change threshold" is "6%"
3. scene change based on NVOF's motion vectors - when "scene change threshold" is "8%"

None of this eliminates the problem of instantaneous judder in many fast-moving scenes. That is, the first frame (or the first few frames), but most likely only the first frame of the next scene seems to be lost and shifted a little to the side and with the next frame it returns to its correct position. For me, 8% is almost the same as SC100%, only in VERY dynamic scenes there are stutters, otherwise the problems are the same. What other scene change settings can you tweak? I feel that the solution is somewhere nearby, but I lack knowledge. For now I'm staying at SC100%.

Someone can help on how test Vapoursynth R68. Thanks in advance.

After a little more testing with v4.15, SC=8% with nvof is generally as good as turning off SC plus it helps with certain vertical fast motion artefacts. But  I'm hoping the next Rife model can improve here because nvof causes problems for another one of my other SC torture files. So back to setting SC higher than 10 or turning it off.

pensioner600
> That is, the first frame (or the first few frames), but most likely only the first frame of the next scene seems to be lost and shifted a little to the side and with the next frame it returns to its correct position.

try updated svpflow2_vs.dll from that post: https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 672#p84672, any changes?

Chainik wrote:

try updated svpflow2_vs.dll from that post: https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 672#p84672, any changes?

Of course, everything was updated initially, all three files. I saved the old files just in case))

the file attached there was updated 4 times already
the last time - yesterday

1,573 (edited by dawkinscm 15-05-2024 17:29:42)

Chainik wrote:

I see now. That was not clear to me which is why I asked. You might want to make it clearer.

But this is great! ASM vertical artefacts are still an issue but it's about as good as I have ever got it to look but now without the stutters. Definite improvements all round.

1,574 (edited by Magly 15-05-2024 17:55:28)

I'm having some problems with RIFE, with certain files it seems like the interpolated frames isn't displayed and the video just looks like duplicated 24 fps outputted at 48fps.

This only happens with some files while most work as they should and look smooth.

The weird thing is that everything seems like it's working as it should, like the svp enabled rife ai engine text at the bottom of the screen when starting playback, display switches to 48hz, gpu gets loaded in msi afterburner and madvr reporting that the source is 48fps, but it still looks like regular 24fps playback?

If I switch svp profile to something without rife, like the default automatic profile for example, then interpolation works and displays smoothly although with a lot of artefacts

I also tried to run an optimization pass on one of the files that's not working properly and the command window stayed blank until it finished while normally there's a lot of text during optimization?

dawkinscm wrote:

After a little more testing with v4.15, SC=8% with nvof is generally as good as turning off SC plus it helps with certain vertical fast motion artefacts. But  I'm hoping the next Rife model can improve here because nvof causes problems for another one of my other SC torture files. So back to setting SC higher than 10 or turning it off.

Chainik wrote:

I've been meaning to ask, what are you guys doing lately? Somehow combining RIFE + Nvidia Optical Flow together?

I'm trying to follow the comments and not understanding it 100%

I would appreciate an explanation smile