Re: 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper

Blackfyre wrote:

Removed "on top" because full-screen exclusive mode does not work with DX11 (which is a shame), unlike Vulkan.

I hope it will work with G-Sync or G-Sync Compatible variable refresh rate monitors? Could anyone please confirm that this will work?

27 (edited by UHD 09-11-2019 22:45:23)

I know that glare or anti-glare screen is a matter of individual preference, but I'm looking for a monitor that at least will provide light diffusion at this level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjSHegW_nQ

and not like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcuNnbHKueg

although I know that the second one would have been chosen by the majority of this forum users without hesitation.

My new monitor will be used in strong daylight and will not only be used for watching movies, so it will always have to be a compromise.

I know that the thread is quite long and my questions may be lost in the crowd of posts. So I will repeat them again, because I still haven't received answers:

1. How many CPU cores and threads can SVP with mpv support in parallel?

This is a question for SVP developer in the part about the possibilities of the software itself and its internal limitations. As well as from a practical point of view, for all who use SVP with mpv on HEDT CPUs.

2. On which monitor/TV do you watch 4K/10-bit HDR movies and do you use x2 (48Hz), 60Hz, x3 (72Hz) or maybe x5 (120Hz) interpolation?

This is a question addressed to Chainik as a request to expand on the following statement:

Chainik wrote:

I know that 4K/10-bit in mpv works on mine Ryzen 1700 @3500 MHz at ~2800 memory speed. Not with the highest settings though, but I don't thing the "highest" (i.e. "half-pixel mode") is even needed for 4K.

3. Will G-Sync will work with the newest version of SVP, which allows to output HDR from mpv with the settings Blackfyre writes about:

Blackfyre wrote:

Removed "on top" because full-screen exclusive mode does not work with DX11 (which is a shame), unlike Vulkan.

This is a question for all who have G-Sync or G-Sync Compatible variable refresh rate monitors and Nvidia GPU.

Of course I would like to encourage everyone who has experience in smooth playback of 4K 10bit HDR movies on a 4K 144Hz or use quad-channel memory to say something about the topics described in this thread. I would be very grateful to hear your opinion.

I also encourage to discuss anyone who, like me, intends to acquire the 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper in the future and is looking for information to help him decide whether to choose a CPU with quad-channel memory (24 and 32 cores) or octa-channel memory (probably 48 and 64 cores).

For me, this decision is all the more important because I'm going to build a fanless HTPC, so I have to use some kind of underclocking and undervolting. So it won't be a HTPC with full power of 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper and 280 W TDP (or 350W TDP, which will probably feature 64 core Threadripper).

1. unlimited
2. 60 Hz
3. AFAIK it works, however SVP produces constant frame rate so I dunno what exactly gsync should do here

Thank you Chainik!

I don't have any Nvidia GPU yet, but as far as I know G-Sync should automatically adjust the monitor to the frequency received from the GPU:

23,976x5=119,88 Hz
25x5=125Hz

so I won't have to do it manually.

31 (edited by nemoW 12-11-2019 13:21:01)

My R7 3800X has just 60% CPU usage when watching 4K HDR with SVP+MPC-HC+madVR (SVP GPU acceleration disabled).
However, my LCD is 60Hz only.

Thanks.
Why don't you use mpv, especially now that mpv can finally render in HDR mode?

33 (edited by nemoW 12-11-2019 18:47:11)

Because for me madVR is handier and provides more rendering options which I can select and test on the fly.
I'm using mpv for streaming content like youtube and twitch since it has it's own benefits like better streaming cache and instant video rewind, but for watching movies I prefer madVR.
Additionally, when I've tested mpv two months ago, it was unable to play 4K HDR without drops.

Thank you. That means that even with R7 3800X you play with drops? Have you checked if there are as many droped frames when you use SVP as without it? You tested it 2 months ago, maybe now with the new full HDR support it will be better?

35 (edited by nemoW 18-11-2019 20:33:01)

That means that even with R7 3800X you play with drops?

Chainik has said that in previous MPV versions there was a CPU bottleneck due to lack of multithread optimizations.

You tested it 2 months ago, maybe now with the new full HDR support it will be better?

Single drops, for now, no major issues.

OK, thank you.