151 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-05-2016 18:39:18)

Re: SVP 4 Stuttering problem while watching anime

AndyDragneel wrote:

I think that decreas grid step is a perfomance heating can i disable it?
If i disable decrease grid step then i can set half pixel option

"Decrease grid step" can help reduce artifacts, so it's up to you; just remember that "Motion vectors precision" is one of the most demanding settings but has less of an effect on higher resolutions.

BTW, just a heads up, the email notification for this forum's subscriptions seems to be broken or something because I'm not getting emails and it's not in my spam folders - that's why I didn't reply until now.  Nevertheless, it seems that I've got you pointing in the right direction so you're at least able to adjust things a bit yourself.

So if i set motion vectors "half pixel" or "one pixel" it is the same thing??

So if i set halp pixel of halp pixel nothing cahnge?

No, "half pixel" and "one pixel" are not the same.
It is precision of motion vectors.

AndyDragneel wrote:

So if i set motion vectors "half pixel" or "one pixel" it is the same thing??

Sorry for not responding; I somehow completely missed this post.

But nevertheless, MAG79 is correct.  However, it's important to note that, the higher resolution the video is, the less of an effect this has on the end result.

Haha hi mr nintendo however in this days i get bored aigain and....i modified the refresh rate to 48Hz and i have to say the cpu utilization is much better (40%).
But in your opinion there is some setting that i can improve? (For the anime content)
Frame intrepolation mode:Uniform
Shader:Complicated
Target frame rate: Screen refresh
Motion grid:14
Decrease grid step:Disabled
Search radius:Average
Motion precision:One pixel
Wide Search:Strongest
Artifacts:Disabled
Processing of scenes:Blend
Decrease frame size:to screen size
Threads 9

157 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-05-2016 02:14:57)

AndyDragneel wrote:

Haha hi mr nintendo however in this days i get bored aigain and....i modified the refresh rate to 48Hz and i have to say the cpu utilization is much better (40%).

I must ask, are you using MPC-HC's automatic resolution changer for this?  Because I personally wouldn't recommend using 48Hz for desktop use, only for video use.

ANYWAY...

At this point, there are only 3 settings left that will increase the smoothness at all:

Motion grid
Search radius
Motion precision

If we consider only performance and don't consider artifacts at all, then you basically have two choices:

Motion grid: 12 px
Search radius: Large
Motion precision: Half pixel

======== OR ========

Motion grid: 8 px
Search radius: Large
Motion precision: One pixel

Note that the second configuration (the one with 8 px) may be just a bit too slow, so if you need to you're welcome to try setting "search radius" back to Average and/or setting "Processing of scenes" to Repeat.

If either of these settings are too artifact-heavy, then please say so.

158 (edited by AndyDragneel 11-05-2016 05:10:48)

Oh my, i have a problem: when i set half pixel or 12px i watch those horrible artifacts that i spoke to you a few days ago. It is strange beacause with thre previus
refresh rate (72hz or 60hz) the preoblem disappear when i set 9 threads. But now even with 9 threads the problem occour, how it is possible??
The cpu is at 53% and the index is at 1.00 - 1.01. It is so frustrating!
However yes i set up mpc,so with normal desktop use i use 72hz and 48hz only for Video.

159 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-05-2016 05:14:29)

Does the issue occur if you use One pixel + 8 px?

And just for extra clarification, the issue does occur with One pixel + 12 px, correct?

i don't know why but if i set 6 threads,the problem disappear....and i don't know why but there are fewier artifacts. How it is possibile?

161 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-05-2016 05:49:17)

AndyDragneel wrote:

i don't know why but if i set 6 threads,the problem disappear....and i don't know why but there are fewier artifacts. How it is possibile?

Does this artifacting almost look very flickery and juddery around any moving objects?

I ask because, if it's what I think it is, then I've experienced the issue myself.

162 (edited by AndyDragneel 11-05-2016 05:52:35)

Yes,but i don't know why but if i set 6 threds the problem disappear!
Anyway,about the settings,i choose the first option!

163 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-05-2016 06:00:29)

AndyDragneel wrote:

In my experience, setting the thread amount will only stop the issue temporarily...

Now just to clarify, those artifacts you had with SVP 4 - were they different artifacts, or was it the same flickery-juddery stuff you've just described?

EDIT:

AndyDragneel wrote:

Well those settings actually have some CPU headroom left, so you're welcome to fiddle around with the "Decrease grid step" and "Artifact masking" settings.

And for reference, with 10bit videos you might be able to just change "half pixel" to "one pixel" and leave everything else as is.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
AndyDragneel wrote:

In my experience, setting the thread amount will only stop the issue temporarily...

Now just to clarify, those artifacts you had with SVP 4 - were they different artifacts, or was it the same flickery-juddery stuff you've just described?

No those artifacts are different it is like.....for example a motion of an arm it's repeated several times even the motion of the mounth. I don't know how to explain this lol

EDIT:

AndyDragneel wrote:

Well those settings actually have some CPU headroom left, so you're welcome to fiddle around with the "Decrease grid step" and "Artifact masking" settings.
I think that those settings give me a good artifacts masking already!

And for reference, with 10bit videos you might be able to just change "half pixel" to "one pixel" and leave everything else as is.

165 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-05-2016 07:21:33)

Uhhhh, I think you messed up your last post...

What? I said : No those artifacts are different it is like.....for example a motion of an arm it's repeated several times even the motion of the mounth. I don't know how to explain this lol

167 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-05-2016 19:13:48)

AndyDragneel wrote:

What? I said : No those artifacts are different it is like.....for example a motion of an arm it's repeated several times even the motion of the mounth. I don't know how to explain this lol

Oh, I missed it because you put it inside the quote and didn't put an end-quote tag before it.

Nevertheless, that's a relief because it confirms what I thought was the issue.

Now for the bad news - as far as anyone can tell, that flickering/juddering issue you're having in SVP 3.1.7 can only be completely prevented by one way: disabling GPU acceleration in SVP.

You see, back when SVP 3.1.7 was freshly released, I had the exact same issue and it occurred so frequently that I had no choice but to go back to SVP 3.1.6, but 3.1.6 is considerably slower than 3.1.7 is (though 3.1.7 without GPU acceleration is even slower).  The good news was that SVP 4 didn't have the issue at all.

And now for the bad news again...that's a big reason I use SVP4 Pro - it was to avoid this very issue.

However, there is a bit of good news - for whatever reason, the issue seems to no longer be happening for me in SVP 3.1.7, which is very odd because it was definitely still occurring 6 months ago; the only real thing I've changed since then was that I completely uninstalled my GPU drivers via DDU and then (re?)installed Catalyst 15.7.1 (since your APU, much like mine, doesn't use GCN-based graphics, it might not be the wisest idea to use the newest drivers since said drivers only officially support GCN-based GPUs).

Thak you for the informations,anyway i can resolve the problem with 6 theads set (or 9 threads in 72HZ)

Hi aigain mr Ninntendo,i have a strange question about Real-life content (Tv series) in 1080p.
There is a little problem: too much fluidity lol for example in the fight scenes it is like the playback is at "2x" velocity more than "48fps",is there a way to decrease that fluidity?
How ever with 48hz option che cpu is at 60% so in your opinion in order to decrease the fluidity may i set the option "artifacts masking"?

What you describe may very well simply a case of not being used to SVP.  In my experience, I find that the "Motion grid" setting directly effects the perceived speed of the video content, so try reducing that.

With regards to artifact masking, you are welcome to try increasing it, but honestly I don't think it'd help this kind of issue (but maybe it will, I don't know, I don't really use it).

171 (edited by MistahBonzai 13-05-2016 23:52:31)

I think you'll find that taking Frames_interpolation_mode   = "3" (the 'adaptive' default setting) down to 2 will give you a little bit of that 24Htz film look.

MistahBonzai wrote:

I think you'll find that taking Frames_interpolation_mode   = "3" (the 'adaptive' default setting) down to 2 will give you a little bit of that 24Htz film look.

So have i to set 1m? or 2m?

1m.

Also you might want to try reducing the "Motion precision" value as well.

Basically just mix and match those three settings and see how you like it.  I would not recommend touching the shader however - in fact I find that "Complicated" makes motion look the most natural.

But i don't have "complicated" but "strandard"

175 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 08-07-2016 21:59:26)

AndyDragneel wrote:

But i don't have "complicated" but "strandard"

But your post on this very page says otherwise...

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 209#p59209

AndyDragneel wrote:

But in your opinion there is some setting that i can improve? (For the anime content)
Frame intrepolation mode:Uniform
Shader:Complicated

Regardless, it's not like it's a crime to use the "Standard" shader, I personally just really like the fluidity of the "Complicated" shader.