Re: SVP 4 Stuttering problem while watching anime

So,i have to set the shader to "complicated"? Or "sharp" for anime? Oh and as always thank you for your support!!

You don't have to, it's just that the other settings really don't work that well for anime (you'll get weird artifacts).

53 (edited by AndyDragneel 30-03-2016 07:02:53)

So i tried with this settings and i have to say it is very smooth but.....there are too much artifacts!! And with the target frame rate double rate (2x) the video is at 47fps,so i changed it "to screen refresh rate". However i see some imperfections when "the motion is going to finish",so when the scene is going to change i see a little stutter.
Oh, and however the cpu usage with these settings is 38% 45%

54 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-03-2016 07:45:15)

AndyDragneel wrote:

And with the target frame rate double rate (2x) the video is at 47fps,so i changed it "to screen refresh rate".

Please don't change that.  You get less artifacts when using an exact multiple and using 2x also give lower CPU utilization.  Right now 2x will not be as smooth, but that's because we aren't quite done yet.

Basically, after we get SVP squared away, I was going to tell you how to set up MPC-HC so that automatically switches to the best refresh rate based on the frame rate of the video content (for example, 24fps is smoother at 48Hz than it is at 60Hz).  If you want to get a head-start, see this thread starting from this port.

AndyDragneel wrote:

there are too much artifacts!!

However i see some imperfections when "the motion is going to finish",so when the scene is going to change i see a little stutter.

Oh, and however the cpu usage with these settings is 38% 45%

First off, use "double rate (2x)".

If you have the CPU headroom try using "Complicated" with either 'Uniform' or '1.5m'.  Note that you may have to lower some other settings if the increase in CPU utilization is too much.

If that is still not good enough, try lowering the "Motion vectors grid" to something like '16px', '24px', etc.

You can also try switching the "Processing of scene changes" between 'Blend' and 'Repeat' and see which is preferable (assuming it makes a difference that is).

And there's always the option of increasing the "Artifact masking" which will sacrifice smoothness but will make artifacts less noticeable. This increases CPU utilization a bit.

Lastly, you could even increase the settings for "Decrease grid step", but the difference is arguably placebo-level (and for HD content, do not use the setting "to smallest step"); this can increase the CPU by quite a lot.

Good luck, I must go to bed for the night.

I meant "IME" as "in my experience".

I'm only using SVP 3.1.7a (still not sure which 3 PCs to put 4 on) so, to answer your question, yes.  Complicated has fewer artifacts and haloing than Sharp, but if the system in question can only handle sharp then it doesn't matter.

Hi and sorry aigan for my absance. So,yestrday i saw a strange thing: on the option of mpc hc (Hardware acceleration) i set DVXA(copy-back) but below this option i say to me Active decoder : <inactive>. Is it normal??

AndyDragneel wrote:

Hi and sorry aigan for my absance. So,yestrday i saw a strange thing: on the option of mpc hc (Hardware acceleration) i set DVXA(copy-back) but below this option i say to me Active decoder : <inactive>. Is it normal??

Depends on the video codec.  If the video codec is anything other than 8bit AVC/h.264, then that is normal.

Hum....ok. I have another question: i can't set the option in svp (motion vectors precison "half pixel") because it makes uglys strange artifacts. Like.....like i don't know
like a motion is repeated several times. Why?

59 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-04-2016 05:42:04)

AndyDragneel wrote:

Hum....ok. I have another question: i can't set the option in svp (motion vectors precison "half pixel") because it makes uglys strange artifacts. Like.....like i don't know
like a motion is repeated several times. Why?

Do the ugly artifacts occur if you set it to "one pixel" or "two pixels"?

No when i set "one pixel" or "two pixels" is ok. But when i set "half pixel" (the best option i think) the ugly artifacts occur!

61 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-04-2016 07:24:16)

AndyDragneel wrote:

No when i set "one pixel" or "two pixels" is ok. But when i set "half pixel" (the best option i think) the ugly artifacts occur!

Do you remember in SVP 4 there was an "Optimized for" with two options, one being "Film" and the other "Animation"?  This is due to the fact that the optimal settings for 2D animation will be different compared to film-like content.

SVP 3 obviously lacks such an automatic setting, so the user must manually change the settings accordingly.

BTW, while I've got you here, did you or did you not decide to get a "head start" and set up MPC-HC to automatically change the refresh rate?  You've been kind of missing in action, but I didn't want to guide you through the process until you were happy with regards to interpolation artifacts.

Erm....yes i remeber that....but really i don't undstand what i have to do now hahaha sorry. Maybe  Have i to set an option in mpc hc?

63 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-04-2016 07:55:35)

AndyDragneel wrote:

Erm....yes i remeber that....but really i don't undstand what i have to do now hahaha sorry. Maybe  Have i to set an option in mpc hc?

Well first off, are you happy with the results your getting in SVP?  And did you keep SVP set to 2x?

Well....yes i'm happy even i think there are too much artifacts in my opinion. No i keep svp set to "To screeen fresh rate" beacouse is so smoother than "to 2x".

65 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-04-2016 09:12:09)

AndyDragneel wrote:

Well....yes i'm happy even i think there are too much artifacts in my opinion. No i keep svp set to "To screeen fresh rate" beacouse is so smoother than "to 2x".

*sigh*...

The problem with doing things that way is that, if we did the refresh rate stuff now, you will have both extra CPU headroom and reduced artifacts which will allow you to increase SVP's settings.  If you used 2x like I kept asking you to do and configured SVP around that, then your SVP settings would already be optimal and the refresh rate stuff would merely give you that smoother result without any increase in artifacting nor CPU utilization.

I really need to get to sleep, so in the mean time could you please please please figure out your optimal SVP settings when using 2x?  That will definitely save us some time, and it may free up enough CPU to increase the artifact masking and/or the "decrease grid step" option which can help reduce artifacting as well (fyi, don't use "to smallest step" on HD videos).

EDIT: Last thing, it may be wise to take a screen shot of both your current SVP settings and whatever settings you find to be optimal when using 2x - that way you can easily revert to one set of settings or the other until we get the refresh rate stuff out of the way.

OK but....with the option"to screen refresh rate" the cpu usage is under 45%......

However my settings are
Frame intrepolation=Uniform
Shader=Sharp
Target frame rate=to screen refresh rate
Motion vectors grid=12px Avwrgae 2
Decrrease grid step=Disabled
Search Radius= Small and fast
Motion vectors precison=One pixel
Wide Search=Strongest
Artifacts masking=Disabled
Processing of scens changes=Repeat frames
Decrase frame size=To screen size

With 2x there aren't optimal settings...beacause it isn't smooth it is like Svp Disabled!!!

its either smooth or without artifacts big_smile

70 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-04-2016 21:40:02)

AndyDragneel wrote:

OK but....with the option"to screen refresh rate" the cpu usage is under 45%......

Have you tried these?  They'll eat your CPU right up to the point that you might have to set 'Target frame rate' to "2x". wink

Shader = Complicated
Decrease grid step = By two with global refinement
Search Radius = Large
Artifacts masking = [user choice]
Processing of scene changes = Blend adjacent frames

dlr5668 wrote:

its either smooth or without artifacts big_smile

Not true, 24fps with 2x @ 48Hz is smoother and has less artifacts than 24fps with 2.5x @ 60Hz, though the latter may "feel" faster.

That's why I was trying to get AndyDragneel to configure his/her settings around 2x, because the refresh rate stuff will be to have MPC-HC automatically switch to 48Hz for 24fps content.

With the shader "complicated" the playback is too slow......
However mr nintendo i thik that i'm happy for now about the anime with SVP.
Now can you help me to figure out a good setup to watch a tv series in 1080p?

72 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 24-04-2016 18:53:40)

AndyDragneel wrote:

With the shader "complicated" the playback is too slow......

You don't have to use all of those settings at the same time, and "Decrease grid step" can be set to one of the lower settings like "Local refinements" or, if you must, even "Small step" if your CPU can't handle "Global" (again, don't use "smallest" on HD content).

AndyDragneel wrote:

Now can you help me to figure out a good setup to watch a tv series in 1080p?

For film-like content, you basically would just use the highest settings possible in SVP.

Just remember that certain settings (like "Motion vectors precision") have much more CPU impact than other settings but arguably have less of a result on the final video.

73 (edited by AndyDragneel 25-04-2016 05:56:51)

The highest settings possible? But can my cpu handle it??
Can you make me an example of settings please?

74 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-04-2016 05:58:32)

AndyDragneel wrote:

The highest settings possible? But can my cpu handle it??

Actually, you know what, since you're here and I'm not going to bed for 2-3 hours still, do you think we could set up the refresh rate stuff first?

First off, it would be a good idea if we added a custom refresh rate for 50Hz, so please go through the process I lined out previously for making custom resolutions; here it is again for your convenience:

Run CRU.exe

Under "detailed resolutions", click "Add..."

Set the "Timing" to "Automatic - LCD native"

Next to "Active", input "1366" under "Horizontal" and input "768" under "Vertical"

Next to "Refresh rate", input "50"

Click OK; this should close the smaller window

Click OK again; this should close the bigger window

In CRU, you should now have at least three listings for 1366x768 - one at 60Hz, one at 50Hz, and one at 48Hz (there might also be one for 40Hz, you can either ignore that or even remove it)

After this, restart your PC, and then test setting your refresh rate to 50Hz; signs of it not working correctly would be a flickery screen, weird colors, or a black screen.

Important!: If setting your screen refresh rate to 50Hz does in fact makes your computer unusable and you cannot change it back, restart your PC (you may have to "cut the power" by holding down the power button) then before it starts to load windows, press F8 over and over again.  On the menu that appears, you should be able to select something that says "low resolution mode" or 640x480.  Select that and you should be able to boot and see your desktop (though massively cramped). Then change your resolution back to 1366x768, but before clicking Apply or OK, go into Advanced and set the refresh rate to 60Hz, and click Apply/OK in that window - you should now have 1366x768 @ 60Hz.

Please, i don't want to do this T_T. Can give me an example of good settings without custom refresh rate?
Thank you for your patience.