26 (edited by Mystery 26-03-2014 17:34:07)

Re: Feedback on SVP

To make sure we're talking about the same thing, here's a screenshot of the video rendering with weird borders. Look at the stains on the left, they shouldn't be there.

Post's attachments

VideoBug.jpg 58.35 kb, 170 downloads since 2014-03-26 

Yeah, it's about thin black line on the edge.
Wait for 3.1.6 for the auto-cropping feature smile

Mystery
You can crop it manually just now in SVP 3.1.5: While playback choose in SVP tray menu - Frame crop - Custom

I'm not going to tweak that setting for every video I play
Oh. Then wait SVP 3.1.6 with autocrop function

the others don't have any problems playing
Any video with black borders has problems less or more. The best choice is to crop black borders.

madVR really should have a forum of its own... having a whole forum as a 1000 pages thread isn't really practical!

It is possible to configure madVR to adjust its profile based on rules, and do you know whether it is possible to create a profile where madVR is desactivated and doesn't hit performance at all?

I find the best settings for me are:
- On laptop screen: Linc + Anti-Ringing Filter.
- Once NNEDI3 is working, I might try it for videos 480p or lower.
- On TV output, Linc for videos 480p or lower
- On TV output, Lanczos for 720p videos
- DISABLED for 1080p videos outputting on 1080p display
- Catmull-Rom with both filters works great for down-scaling, and that only happens on the laptop screen.

How can I configure the "disabled" part?

Mystery
whether it is possible to create a profile where madVR is desactivated and doesn't hit performance at all?
Yes. It is possible to disable all hard postprocessing and use madVR as just renderer with perfect synchro.
You need to disable:
- PixelShader scaling, use DXVA2 scaling or Bilinear instead;
- image doubling;
- reduce banding;
- smooth motion;
- dithering

Nope. By disabling all these options, the 15000kbps video is still lagging, but by removing madVR it plays smoothly.

Looks like a bug in madVR. Btw, the files causing most problems are of TP and TS formats.

Mystery
What about syncho options:
- enabled windowed overlay
- enable automatic fullscreen exlusive mode
- disable desktop composition

I did't test madVR with 15000kbps TP/TS video yet.

The options were already set that way, except windowed overlay which was disabled. Doesn't change anything.

Mystery
Internal decoders in madVR disabled?

Yes, internal decoders disabled. I haven't touched any of the other options, so it's all on default besides scaling algorithms.

Also, for 1080p videos outputting on a 1080p TV, some of them lag slightly with Lanczos, and it still lags the same with Bilinear. The only way I can play them smoothly is by disabling madVR altogether.

It makes me think there is some kind of bandwidth problem with madVR, even if it shouldn't be processing the data passing through it.

Good news is, if that's the case, solving this bottleneck might significantly improve madVR's overall performance.

Mystery
What you mean when say "disabling madVR altogether"?
Change madVR to EVR in MPC-HC options - Playback - Output or what?

In MPC-HC, View | Options | Playback | Output, DirectShowVideo, select System Default

38 (edited by Mystery 31-03-2014 17:46:46)

With the latest version of madVR, NNEDI3 is now working. After doing some test, I find image doubling to be very helpful, but for Chroma Upscaling, Jinc is still giving a better result than NNEDI3 for low-quality videos.

First attached image is Jinc Chroma Upscaling + Luma/Chroma Image Doubling (32 neurons)

Second attached image is NNEDI3 Chroma Upscaling + Luma Image Doubling (32 neurons)

First image is what gave me best results.

Post's attachments

Jinc+DoublingChroma.jpg 215.31 kb, 179 downloads since 2014-03-31 

NNEDI3+Doubling.jpg 217.8 kb, 180 downloads since 2014-03-31 

Mystery
As for me your screenshots has no differences.

What relation this fact has to SVP? hmm

Slow Motion is working better in SVP v3.1.6

However...

@ 50% speed, there is video lag now and then

@ 25% speed, on top of the video lag, there is weird frame jumping similar to when you seek to a different position when "turn off on seek" is off.

Mystery
I need examples. Give link to your problem video please. Then I can try to reproduce your situation with 50% and 25% speed.

For the frames jumping... now that I look at the video at regular speed, the video is done that way. It just doesn't appear at regular speed :-) So that's good.

But there is definitely lag now and then.

Also, with some videos, at 25% speed, the video freezes on a frame every second or so, such as with this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93GuC1dMkxc

Mystery
It is telecined video: 24 fps in 30 fps. Every 5-th frame is double. Before insert new frames in SVP you need to apply inverse telecine to it to decimate frames doubles.
Or use another TRUE 24 fps video. wink

How do I apply inverse telecine? Would that have side-effects or just make SVP work smoother?

Or use another TRUE 24 fps video

What do you mean by this?

Somebody take true 24 fps video and put it on youtube with 3:2 telecine applied. It harmful to SVP. SVP can't handle it correctly.
You need to find another copy of the video with original fps without telecine.

How do I apply inverse telecine?
for example: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/TIVTC

Would that have side-effects or just make SVP work smoother?
No side effects. Just SVP can't recognize it automatically so you need to restore original framerate manually or find GOOD video with source framerate.