Topic: SVP screen black flashing+frame rate drops at resolution above 1080p

I am using SVP 3.1.6
Recently I have acquired a high res monitor with resolution of 2880x1620
When viewing videos with SVP at any resolution seemingly above 1080p even in window mode, there has been severe screen flashing with dark patches and framerate drops below 60 (not a performance issue since my cpu processes show that it is not even functioning at above 30% and not even 10% ram usage and svp index only around 1x), and this problem occurs to even video with the most basic of quality
Changing display resolution to 1080p eliminates this problem
At high resolution display mode, resizing the windows of the media player to a size that would be exact 1080p and below also eliminate this problem
Having to change screen resolution back to 1080p everytime I want to watch a video in fullscreen with svp is quite cumbersome; and 60fps doesn't feel too good when the media player can only show a fraction of the screen to ensure no glitch
Is there any fix for this? sad

Re: SVP screen black flashing+frame rate drops at resolution above 1080p

video player? video renderer set in the player? video card model?

MPC-HC + EVR + any video card better than Intel's one should handle this

3 (edited by hsbinh1412 16-08-2014 10:27:22)

Chainik wrote:

video player? video renderer set in the player? video card model?

MPC-HC + EVR + any video card better than Intel's one should handle this

Apologies
I am using MPC-HC latest version, not sure what EVR is though
My GPU is GTX880m with a i7-4910mq chip

you may need to set up usage of gtx880m for mpc-hc in NVidia control panel

For some reason Nvidia refuse to acknowledge MPC as a program that should be using Nvidia by default (and refused to let me set so, graying out the option) so I had to right click  and run MPC through NVIDIA manually
But even then, the problem seems to still occur with nothing has changed much. Screen still glitching out and flashing above 1080p with framerate drops

view -> options -> playback -> output > "enhanced video renderer (custom presenter)"

then press Ctrl+J while playing the video and check the line with "Render device"

on my laptop with AMD video card I can't make MPC-HC to render with AMD's card
may be it's a common issue  hmm

It appears that the media playing programs are locked. This can be in part due to protected content is not able to be played off of the secondary GPU. There is no workaround to make the secondary GPU default.

try to lower "resizer" option in "view -> options -> playback -> output" then

Thanks Chainik, changing to Enhanced video Renderer seems to have eliminated the screen flashing problem
(Pressing Ctrl+J revealed that the MPC was still using only Intel HD4600 even when I right click and force it running with Nvidia)
I have also change the resizer output from Bicubic A=1.0 to Bicubic A=0.6 which seems to have improved performance from 50-60 to solid 60
So it seems like this issue have been resolved. Thankyou truly smile
Anyhow, just wondering, is there any other settings in MPC that should be applied in order to ensure more performance gain?  I have always just use the vanilla mpc that came with the SVP installer hmm
(And is there any way to draw more juice out of the GPU for SVP since I have noticed my GPU usage barely increase above 10% when using SVP for high quality video whereas it would max out my CPU 98% to the point of lagging)

Old thread but I think I found the solution, and it probably applies to a lot of users. http://codecs.forumotion.net/t1692-how- … ing-nvidia

The problem is caused by Nvidia Optimus, a feature unique to laptops which allows GPU load to be distributed between the iGPU and dGPU for power and heat efficiency. Because the display is directly connected to the iGPU you can't just bypass in your BIOS unfortunately. Using Nvidia Inspector I was able to assign mpc to the dGPU so madVR (rendering) and presentation (mpc) should both be handled by my GTX 860m. The question is should I set SVP to use the iGPU now?

> The question is should I set SVP to use the iGPU now?

OpenCL apps are not automatically distributed by the video driver so so can just choose either iGPU or dGPU - whatever is best in your system - regardless of the card used for the video rendering.