Topic: AMD Smooth Video Feature

After installing the latest AMD video driver, the AMD Catalyst Control Panel contains an option: Enable Smooth Video Playback.

I guess if I'm using SVP, this option should be disabled.

But I'm wondering. How does this compare with SVP, in terms of quality and performance? Most likely it provides lower quality and higher performance, and I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

Re: AMD Smooth Video Feature

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hqv … 844-2.html

3 (edited by Mystery 20-05-2014 05:15:40)

I realized that AMD video improvements work in Windows Media Player but not in MPC-HC, so they cannot be combined with SVP and madVR.

And, I wasn't able to use SVP + madVR on 15mbps high-definition videos, I had to fall back to Windows Media Player for those. madVR's scaling doesn't serve much for 1080p videos anyway.

So for 15mbps HD videos, I can now use AMD's Smooth Video and image improvement features, which do a great job!

I have just compared SVP + madVR with AMD Smooth Motion + Video Improvements side-to-side. AMD Smooth Motion definitely creates blurrier inter-frames. SVP creates much clearer frames.

Hmm...

The exact name was "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" and it was here for years and it's NOT an interpolation in any way.
Are you talking about something else?

Yes I'm talking about that. It was there for years? I never saw it before.

yeah, why do you think I gave you the link to article from 1 Feb 2011big_smile

In the video playback section there are only two options. The first is “Enforce Smooth Video Playback.” Enabling it prevents dropped frames by disabling some of the processor-intensive options we’ve just pointed out above.